First objective: The creation of sustainable youth employment in growth sectors with special attention to young women, by assisting existing – (70%) and new entrepreneurs (30%) with coaching & training and facilitating SMEs access to finance and markets;
Second objective: To promote entrepreneurship among young people by integrating entrepreneurship education in secondary and higher education;
Target group: The activities are aimed at young people in Somalia/land between 15 and 35 years old, with an emphasis on people between 15 and 24 years old (+ 65%) and women (40%). Young males are the highest risk group when it comes to irregular economic migration. The increase of income for young women also diminishes migratory pressures because family income increases and thus decreases the incentive of men to leave.
The program focuses on the following sectors in which economic growth potential has been identified, particularly in the focus regions. This process will continue during the inception of the programme to be further strengthened through the value chain and market analyses, Renewable energy, livestock, agriculture, fisheries and food processing industries.
The core activities that contribute to the two objectives relate to:
The first objective:
- Recruitment of successful existing and new entrepreneurs through existing entrepreneurship initiatives;
- Development of entrepreneurship skills of existing and new entrepreneurs through coaching & training;
- Facilitating access to finance for recruited and existing entrepreneurs by guarantee funds;
The second objective:
- Introducing or enhancing entrepreneurship courses in the curricula of institutions of higher secondary and vocational education;
- To introduce or improve internship programs in institutions of vocational education;
- Organization of summer entrepreneurship courses at universities and institutions of higher (vocational) education;
- Organization of the Global Entrepreneurship Week with upper secondary and vocational education institutions.
In the short term (within the programme period) the programme aims to:
- Launch with funds partners 50 companies (including 20 by young women and 30 by young men) and 116 to grow (70%) in identified growth sectors and for this to create 888 sustainable (direct) jobs for young men, 592 sustainable (direct) jobs for young women and 8,140 indirect jobs for young people within the program period;
The project is funded by Netherlands government and implemented by a consortium of partners in Somalia/land, Tunis and Libya.